Heart and Vascular Rehabilitation
Multidisciplinary cardiac rehabilitation
An important part of Yakima Regional’s comprehensive heart care is helping patients return to the activities they enjoy. Registered dietitians, behavioral psychologists, cardiac nurses and master’s trained clinical exercise physiologists all work together to provide patients with information about how to live a heart-healthy lifestyle. Through nutrition counseling, exercise, and educational classes, patients are encouraged to adopt lifestyle changes that will reduce their risk of future cardiac events.
Comprehensive heart and vascular rehabilitation program
- Focus on recovery – Cardiac rehabilitation begins in the hospital, following a heart attack or other acute illness. Before leaving the hospital, patients learn about their disease and risk factors that contribute to heart disease. They know what to expect during and after recovery, and receive home-exercise recommendations.
- Exercise counseling and support – Patients begin a medically supervised, monitored exercise program that includes individual support from exercise professionals. Once monitoring is no longer necessary, patients continue with a customized exercise program and learn how to incorporate activity into their lifestyle.
- Phase III Exercise Program – Yakima Regional also offers a Phase III exercise program, which is for anyone concerned with their heart health and is presented in conjunction with YAC Fitness. Phase III participants can improve their physical fitness, which often reduces cardiac risk factors, under the supervision of experienced exercise physiologists.
- Heart-healthy lifestyle changes – Throughout the cardiac rehabilitation program, patients learn about good nutrition, stress management techniques, and how to incorporate these behaviors into their lifestyle. During the maintenance phase of rehabilitation, continuing education will help reinforce healthy habits long term.
- Individual support – Our health educators, exercise professionals, dietitians and other rehabilitation specialists provide support and education throughout the recovery process. You can depend on a dedicated group of individuals who are focused on recovery.
- Community Education Classes – Each month, Yakima Regional offers a variety of heart health and lifestyle education classes which are free and open to the public.